Resources for professionals
Interested in starting your own program? The below resources may behelpful...
- Helping children adapt to the psychiatric hospitalization of a parent (1988). Castleberry, K. The Psychiatric Hospital, 19, 155-160.
- Consulting with young people about services guidelines relating to parental mental illness (2004).
Fudge, E. & Mason,P.
- BART's Place for children and teenagers of parents with serious mental illness (2001). Katz, J., Gintoli, G., & Buckley, P. Psychiatric Services, 52, 107.
- Serious mental illness and the family: The practioner's guide (1998). Marsh, D.T. NewYork: Wiley.
- Children of a parent with a mental illness: perspectives on need (2005). Maybery, D., Ling, L., Szakacs, E., & Reupert, A.
- Children of parents with mental illnesses. Family influences on Childhood behavior and development: Evidence-based prevention and treatment approaches (Gullotta & Blau Editors) (2008). Nicholson, J., Cooper, J., Freed, R., Isaacs, M. NY: Routledge.
- A qualitative studyof programs for parents with serious mental illness and their children: Building practice-based evidence(2007). Nicholoson, J., Hinden, B., Biebel, K., Henry, A., Katz-Leavy, J. Journal of Behavioral Health Services and Research, 34(4),395-413.
- Children in families with a severely mentally ill member: Prevalence and needs for support (2002). Ostman, M. & Hansson, L. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 37, 243-248.
- Good days and bad days: The experiences of children of aparent with a psychiatric disability (2004). Riebschleger, J. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, 28, 25-31.
- Preventive intervention with children of hospitalized psychiatric patients(1987). Shachnow, J. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 57, 66-77.
- Children of psychiatrically ill parents: a prevention perspective.(1989) Silverman, M. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 40, 1257-1265.
- The response of children to the psychiatric hospitalization of a family member (2008). Sivec, H.J., Masterson, P., Katz, J., & Russ, S.
- Interviews with psychiatric inpatients about professional intervention with regard to their children (1996). Wang, A.R., & Goldschmidt, V.V. Acta Psychiatr Scand, 93, 57-65.
Back to top